Click here to view the Behavior Policy as a pdf document.
The East Longmeadow Public Library is a very active center of information, cultural activities, recreation and learning. Everyone using this facility will receive impartial, helpful, and friendly customer service. With the amount of activity in the Library, rules have been established regarding proper behavior necessary to maintain an atmosphere in which all patrons can enjoy a comfortable and safe place for selecting materials, reading, researching, studying, writing, and attending library programs or community meetings. These regulations exist to promote the use and enjoyment of the resources and services of the Library, and protect the safety of the general public, the Library Staff, and the equipment and materials of the Library.
Enforcement of these rules will be conducted in a fair and reasonable manner. Failure to comply with the Library’s Behavior Policy may result in removal from the premises and expulsion from the Library for a period of one day to one year, and/or restriction or termination of library privileges. Unlawful activities will be reported to the East Longmeadow Police Department.
In the event the property of the Library is damaged or destroyed, the person or persons
responsible for such damage will be held accountable for their actions and the matter will be turned over to the Board of Library Trustees and/or the East Longmeadow Police Department. Parents, legal guardians, and other caregivers are responsible for the behavior and supervision of their children and may be liable for any damage caused by a child under the age of eighteen.
(See Safe Child Policy; M.G.L. ch.231 §85G)
The following activities are examples of behavior not allowed on Library premises:
- Refusing to comply with the reasonable requests of any member of the Library Staff
- Loud or abusive talking, particularly profanity (Town of East Longmeadow, MA, By-Laws, ch.363 §363-1)
- Creating a disturbance by noisy or disruptive behavior (M.G.L. ch.272 §41), including excessive or loud socializing, and banging on keyboards
- Willfully setting the volume of an audio device to disturb persons assembled nearby (M.G.L. ch.272 §41)
- Eating, except when in Library of Library-sponsored programming, Town Department meeting, or with prior approval from the Library Director
- Drink containers without secure lids
- Blocking of public entrances or interfering with people entering or exiting the Library (Town of East Longmeadow, MA, By-Laws, ch.407 art.1 §407-2)
- Blocking of public access spaces including shelving, aisles or rooms
- Entering a non-public area of the Library without the permission of a staff member
- Threatening behavior, including, but not limited to: intimidation, retaliation, bullying, threats of violence, violence, and possession of weapons
- Destruction or defacement of Library building, property or materials (M.G.L. ch.266 §100)
- Leaving personal belongings unattended
- Misusing the restrooms, for example, as a laundry facility or by more than one person when assistance is not required
- Bringing animals into the Library building without the permission of the Library Director, except for those needed to assist persons with disabilities (M.G.L. ch.272 §98A, ADA Requirements: Service Animals). An individual may be asked to remove an animal, if the animal is out of control and the animal’s handler does not take effective action to control it, or if the animal is not housebroken (U.S. Code of Federal Regulations §35.136 b 1 & 2)
- Soliciting money, goods, or materials
- Smoking marijuana or tobacco products by use of cigarettes, cigars, or pipes (M.G.L. ch.94G §13C and ch.270 §22)
- Vaping by use of e-cigarettes, vape pens or similar devices
- Use of alcoholic beverages (Town of East Longmeadow, MA, By-Laws, ch.310 art.1 §310-2)
This Behavior Policy has been adopted for the comfort and safety of all library patrons. It shall be posted at strategic places in the Library and courteously enforced by Library Staff.
The Library Behavior Policy is subject to review and amendment by the Board of Library
Approved by the Board of Library Trustees, January, 2005
Amended by the Board of Library Trustees, April, 2008
Amended by the Board of Library Trustees, May, 2014
Amended by the Board of Library Trustees, January, 2020
Amended by the Board of Library Trustees, May, 2023
Amended by the Board of Library Trustees, August, 2023