Click here to view the Library of Things Policy as a pdf document.
The East Longmeadow Public Library offers an extensive Library of Things collection, which supports the library’s mission to provide a variety of materials for the purpose of study or enjoyment, literacy, and life-long learning.
Library of Things acquisitions follow the East Longmeadow Public Library’s Collection Development Policy and Gift and Donation Policy.
1. To borrow from the East Longmeadow Public Library’s Library of Things collection, a patron must have a CW MARS library card in good standing.
2. Library of Things items are intended for check out and take home use. Patrons who check out items must abide by all requirements of the East Longmeadow Public Library’s Borrowers Policy.
3. Due to safety concerns, some items are only available to patrons 18 and older and require a Library of Things Informed Consent Form. Those items will be identified on the item itself and in the library catalog. For those items, the patron must review the Library of Things Policy and sign the attached Consent Form. Once signed, a note will be added
to the patron’s record indicating consent and the Consent Form will be kept on file.
4. By taking possession of any item, the patron is certifying that they are capable of using the item in a safe and appropriate manner. Not all items are suitable or safe for all patrons. Responsibility for a child’s use of an item rests with the parent or guardian.
5. The patron who borrows the item is responsible for the item.
6. The patron agrees that the Library is not responsible for any manufacturing defects in quality of workmanship or materials inherent in any borrowed items.
7. The patron agrees that if any item becomes unsafe or in a state of disrepair, they will immediately discontinue use of the item and notify library staff.
8. The patron agrees not to modify or tamper with hardware or software settings established by East Longmeadow Public Library on applicable items.
1. Library of Things loan periods and renewals vary by item. Patrons can inquire about loan periods and renewals by contacting staff at 413-525-5400 ext. 1511.
2. Library of Things items will not be shared via delivery with other libraries. All items are borrowed from and returned directly to the East Longmeadow Public Library.
3. Library of Things items need to be returned to the Returns Desk during the Library’s open hours. Some items may take 24-48 hours to check in from your account.
4. All items must be returned in the same condition as issued, barring normal wear and tear.
5. The patron agrees to pay for the loss or theft of or damage to any item and further agrees to accept the Library’s assessment of condition and assessment of fair restitution for damage, dirtiness, delinquency, and/or loss of items in part or in total. This restitution amount could equal up to the full replacement cost of the item.
6. The library reserves the right to refuse the loan of any item at its discretion.
Approved by the Board of Library Trustees March, 2023.
LIBRARY OF THINGS INFORMED CONSENT
The Library of Things collection contains some items intended for use by patrons age 18 or over due to safety concerns. Not all Things are suitable or safe for all patrons. Responsibility for a child’s use of an item rests with the parent or guardian. Out of respect for future users, please inspect all borrowed items before return and ensure they are returned in the condition in which they were borrowed. Please immediately report any damage to library staff.
I, _____________________________________________ (print name), state that:
- I have read the Library of Things Lending Policy and confirm that I can adhere to each of the clauses.
- I am capable and experienced in using the items I am borrowing, and that I will use the items in a proper manner.
- I do hereby for myself, on behalf of my successors and assigns, in consideration of being permitted to borrow items, waive any and all claims against the East Longmeadow Public Library, the Town of East Longmeadow, its officers, agents, and employees for any injury or injuries of any nature that I may suffer or incur in the use of the items that I am borrowing from the East Longmeadow Public Library.
- I do hereby for myself, on behalf of my successors and assigns, in consideration of being permitted to borrow items, agree to release and indemnify and hold harmless the East Longmeadow Public Library, the Town of East Longmeadow, its officers, agents and employees from any and all liability, loss, claims, and demands, actions or causes of action for the death or injury to any persons and for any property damage suffered or incurred by any person which arises or may arise or be occasioned in any way from the use of items I am borrowing from the East Longmeadow Public Library. I am aware that the East Longmeadow Public Library, its partners, directors, officers, members, and employees claim no expertise and make no representation concerning the fitness of any item for any particular use.
- I understand that one or more items I am checking out may have a replacement value of $100 or more (where applicable). Items costing more than $100 will be labeled with replacement cost details.
- I am 18 years old or older.
I affirm that the above information is current, true and correct and may be subject to verification. I further state that I have read and fully understand the rules and regulations of the East Longmeadow Public Library and I understand that failure to comply with any of these rules may result in revocation of my borrowing privileges and/or legal action against me. I have read and signed an Informed Consent form, relinquishing any and all claims against the East Longmeadow Public Library, the Town of East Longmeadow, its officers, agents, and employees.
Print Name __________________________________________________________________
Library Card # __________________________________________________________________
For Staff Use Only:
Staff Initials Processing Liability Waiver __________ Date __________
Staff Initials Updating Patron Record with Waiver Consent __________ Date __________